The ASSISTments Foundation is Hiring Many New People
The ASSISTments Foundation is an entity that promotes the use of ASSISTments by teachers and researchers across the country. Cristina and Dr. Neil Heffernan are the husband and wife team at Worcester Polytechnic Institute who created ASSISTments, one of the most highly regarded education platforms in the country.
This year, officials at the US Department of Education’s What Works Clearinghouse declared the tool to be one of a handful of proven interventions in mathematics. Based on these impressive research results and with the support from multi-million dollar philanthropic investments, WPI is spinning off this non-profit 501(c)(3).
Over the course of its tenure, ASSISTments has received $25 million in federal and philanthropic funding. Like many non-profit research organizations such as AIR, EDC and WestEd, our business model is based on receiving federal and philanthropic funding to carry out research. Last year 1,000 teachers across the U.S. used ASSISTments, and their students solved 12 million math problems.
Our vision at ASSISTments is to do research to improve education for all students. Dr. Heffernan and the ASSISTments team currently have a 10+ funded projects that Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) and the foundation will be working on together. In this context we think of ASSISTments as a shared scientific instrument. Our Testbed allows researchers to study human learning at a much lower cost than was previously possible.
ASSISTments is completely free. ASSISTments has begun to crowdsource hints and explanations for all the commonly used questions in middle school mathematics, in particular those offered as Open Educational Resources (OER). Teachers would be reluctant to contribute their work if they thought we were selling ASSISTments. By keeping ASSISTments free, we will be able to impact as many teachers and students as possible!
Additional information about ASSISTments:
- Blog Post about the WWC .
- ASSISTments website designed for teachers.
- List of ASSISTments Related Grants and Philanthropic Funding
- List of $16 million of current Funded Projects.
- The ASSISTments TestBed Website (soon to be called E-TRIALS)
- Article describing how ASSISTments as a shared scientific instrument.
- Boston Globe article on Dr. Heffernan’s backstory including another reason ASSISTments is free.
- Video playlist of teachers and the Heffernans discussing ASSISTments.
- Journal article on the History of ASSISTments.
- The 4 steps we are expecting new users to take.
- Complete description of our study in Maine. (note this is at our old website).
- Dr. Heffernan's webinar explaining the past, present and future of ASSISTments.
The ASSISTments Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.