Once an Executive Director is hired The ASSISTments Foundation will be hiring more senior and junior Software Engineers. They will work on the team building the next generation of ASSISTments: a free, web-based platform. As a member of the core development team, the Software Engineer works closely with other full-time engineers and an extended team of undergraduate and graduate students. The Software Engineer specifies, designs, and builds software modules that support currently funded and proposed research, producing reusable components and services that extend ASSISTments.
About The ASSISTments Foundation
The ASSISTments Foundation is an entity that promotes the use of ASSISTments by teachers and researchers across the country. Cristina and Dr. Neil Heffernan are the husband and wife team at Worcester Polytechnic Institute who created ASSISTments, one of the most highly regarded education platforms in the country. ASSISTments is completely free. ASSISTments has begun to crowdsource hints and explanations for all the commonly used questions in middle school mathematics, in particular those offered as Open Educational Resources (OER). Teachers would be reluctant to contribute their work if they thought we were selling ASSISTments. By keeping ASSISTments free, we will be able to impact as many teachers and students as possible!
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Produces well-designed, testable, efficient, well-documented code
- Produces design specifications
- Troubleshoots, debugs and upgrades existing software
- Verifies and deploys programs and systems
- Provides end-user assistance as needed
- Provides backup support for critical software services
- Contributes to the smooth operation of the ASSISTments lab
- Other duties as assigned
- A keen eye for detail, excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- At ease working in an environment with multiple competing priorities
- Capable of delivering results with little supervision
- A thorough understanding of object-oriented design and Java
- Experience designing interactive applications
- Proficiency in software engineering tools
- Experience with Spring
- Developing and debugging web applications using AJAX, Angular, Bootstrap, GWT, JSON, JQuery, and JSP
- Experience with REST APIs
- Experience using Eclipse
- Experience using Tomcat
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience creating User Interface mockups
Application Requirements for this Position.
Please submit your application materials to Cristina Heffernan at email@example.com.
- Submit a letter of interest describing your background, pertinent skills and why you would be a successful candidate for the job.
- Include a resume of your education and work experience and provide a personal email and phone number.
- Be prepared to provide a list of references.
- We will keep your application on file until we are ready to hire (that is once the new Executive Director is in place).