Past Ph.D. Students
I am proud of my past Ph.D. students. They used their Ph.D. experience with me to further their careers and contribute to the academic community. I am proud of my students who have gone into teaching, academic research, industry research, and to start-up companies. Not only did they do great things, the time I spent advising them was some of the most enjoyable parts of my day and has brought great meaning to my life!
- Zach Pardos is now a tenure track professor at UC Berkeley. While at WPI he did some really great work on Bayesian Networks related research, wrote a number of papers, and won one of the KDD Cup Prizes.
- Mingyu Feng was a Research Scientist at SRI (a nonprofit research-focused institute that used to be called Stanford Research International). She just moved to WestEd. See this.
- YuTao Wang joined Google in September 2015. She did wonderful work in data mining and pushing the field to utilize this tool on many important topics such as how we can know if students have acquired knowledge rather than simply predict future performance. (Ph.D. Dissertation)
- Yue Gong is now at Facebook (WPI page, LS&T Page). Her work led to identifying, and naming, "wheel spinning" (with Joe Beck), which is the state of persisting but not productively. (We received an NSF grant around this idea of hers.)
- Jozsef Patvarczki graduated in 2012. He joined a startup in Silicon Valley that provides a Hadoop-as-a-Service. Hadoop is a scalable database, and his thesis focused on paralleling databases. His most recent project was working for a new startup called CARET.
- Leena Razzaq is a great teacher at Northeastern University. Her research helped create ASSISTments!
- Doug Selent graduated in 2017 and is now a Teaching Professor at WPI. His Ph.D. dissertation is here.
- Siyuan Zhao is at Amazon.
- Seth Adjei just finished his Ph.D. in the summer of 2018.
- Kim Kelly, a full-time public middle school teacher, completed her Ph.D. in 2018.
- Korinn Ostrow, who graduated in 2018, is now a Research Scientist at WPI where she is the Co-PI on a grant obtained in the last year of her graduate program.
My Current Ph.D. Students
- Anthony Botelho (Expected to Graduate 2019)
- Thanaporn "March" Patikorn (Started 2015)
- Xiwen Lu (Started 2016)
- Ashish Gurung (Started 2018)
- John Erickson (Started 2018)
Current Master's Students
- Ashvini Varatharaj (Started 2018)
- Paritosh Goel (Started 2018)
- Meghana V. Kasal (Started 2018)